Two men injured before attacker dies of wounds

Officers cordoned off the area around West Nile Street and St Vincent Street after the man'inflicted severe wounds upon himself in front of shocked shoppers

Man 'slashes his own throat' in front of horrified shoppers after 'running around Glasgow city centre brandishing

A man has died after attacking another man and then inflicting serious injuries on himself in Glasgow city centre.

Witnesses had told of seeing a man with a knife at the scene, and pools of blood on the road.

The attacker ran off before attacking a Glasgow City Council community warden who had tried to intervene.

The 33-year-old man, who has not been named, died in hospital shortly after the incident in West Nile Street at around 4pm on Thursday.

"Whilst not detracting in any way from the courage of the police officers who attended, the fact no armed officers were dispatched to a man attacking others with knives and an axe should be deeply worrying".

"One male patient in his forties was taken to Glasgow Royal Infirmary". "Additional officers are in the city centre to provide public reassurance".

SPF chairwoman Andrea MacDonald said it was "deeply worrying" that no armed officers were dispatched.

A Glasgow City Council spokesperson said: "We can not confirm these reports as it is a police matter at the moment". "This lays bare the myth that the service adequately risk-assesses incidents prior to deploying resources and that as a service we are capable of protecting the public from spontaneous incidents of extreme violence".

Detectives have appealed for information about what they said was a "targeted" and pre-planned attack.

Police said that the incident, which has been referred to the Police Investigations and Review Commissioner, was not related to terrorism.

Assistant Chief Constable Wayne Mawson said: "Police Scotland, along with the rest of the United Kingdom, prides itself in being an unarmed service with access to specialist firearms support whenever required".

"This was not a random attack".

"Officers attended and the incident was very quickly contained".

Ultimas noticias