United States, Canada and Mexico to bid for 2026 World Cup

World Cup 2026: USA, Canada & Mexico to make joint bid

2026 World Cup: US, Mexico, Canada Bid Together to Host Tournament

More details will be forth-coming on the 2026 World Cup bid, as we still don't know what the potential host cities would be, but Gullati said that 60 cites would host in the USA and 10 each in both Mexico and Canada.

"There will be 80 games, three quarters of which would be played in the United States and 10 games in each of Canada and Mexico", Gulati confirmed.

European and Asian countries are ineligible from bidding on the 2026 World Cup, so the CONCACAF-led bid is considered the likely choice to land the tournament.

At the press conference at One World Trade Center, Gulati acknowledged as much.

The joint bid to host the world's biggest sporting tournament was announced today in Manhattan, New York by the heads of the Canadian, Mexican and American federations.

Gulati added their proposal to Federation Internationale de Football Association would see the quarterfinals, semifinals, third-place game and World Cup final all played in American stadiums.

By the time 2026 rolls around, it will have been 32 years (and seven tournaments) since the World Cup was held in North America.

"We have the full support of the United States government in this project".

"We look forward to welcoming the world after what we hope is a successful bid". All Iraq's "home" games in 2018 World Cup qualifying have been played in neutral Iran or Malaysia.

Throughout World Cup history the host nation (s) have always received automatic qualification. Europe has 55 members in the Congress, Africa 54, Asia 46, Concacaf 35, Oceania 11 and South America 10.

After losing a bid to host the 2022 tournament, the United States still considered being a sole bidder for the 2026 tournament, but inevitably agreed to the mega-bid.

If successful, it would be the first World Cup to be held in three countries and only the second multi-nation tournament following Japan and South Korea in 2002.

Although FIFA has final say on the match schedule, the bid also proposes playing all knockout games from the quarterfinals and later in the United States.

"This is a milestone day for U.S. Soccer and for CONCACAF", Gulati said in a release from U.S. Soccer on Monday.

The CONCACAF region is widely viewed as favourite to win the 2026 World Cup, given Federation Internationale de Football Association rules that restrict Europe and Asia from hosting again so quickly. Yet doubts remain over what impact U.S. president Donald Trump and the policies of his administration might have on the joint proposal. A vote is tentatively set for May 2020. Last month, Infantino stated, "Any team, including the supporters and officials...who qualify for a World Cup need to have access to the country, otherwise there is no World Cup".

"He is fully supportive of the joint bid, encouraged the joint bid, and is especially pleased with the fact Mexico is participating in the joint bid". Plus, the recent travel bans that USA president Donald Trump has tried to enact could also work against the CONCACAF joint bid - how will fans, players and officials travel freely between all three countries if they're potentially not allowed to enter the United States?

Ultimas noticias